CESTRIAN ALEX moved into the second round of the CWFL League Cup after a dramatic 4-2 win over fellow Premier Division side, Groves Athletic.

Elliot Davies scored a hat-trick for Alex in the tie, while Ashley Reed grabbed the other to seal the win over a Groves side who had Jack Rigby and Liam Smith on target.

Upton JFC scored nine in their second round CWFL Tom Gerraghty Memorial Trophy (TGMT) cup clash with Upton JFC Vets.

Jack Hill found the net three times to add to braces from Danny Evans and Caelen McGovern, with solitary strikes from Chris Brett and Tom Berry completing the rout.

The runaway Premier Division league leaders, Sutton Athletic, continued their run of fine form as they defeated Upton JFC Youth 3-1.

Lee Ludgate, Connor Doyle and Matty Hall scored the goals which move their side into the third round, while Paddy Lally got the consolation for Upton.

Sutton’s Premier Division rivals, Higher Bebington Kelma, went out of the tournament, though, as they lost out to an in-form Avenue Vets.

Dotty Bolton scored twice for the unbeaten Veterans Division One league leaders, while Kev Bimpson and Greg Stones were also on target in their 4-3 victory.

Ritchie Feightman bagged a brace in Ellesmere Port FC’s resounding 6-0 success over Helsby Reserves, with Peter McNulty, Joe Keenan, Mark Lake, and Paul Dunleavy also getting themselves on the scoresheet.

The cup clash between Neston Nomads Vets and Christleton was settled by a single goal as the latter fell to a 1-0 reverse after Leigh Davis scored what proved to be the winner for Neston.

Elsewhere in the competition, Ian McGraa, Lee Griffiths and Tom Taffe all scored for Shaftesbury Youth in their 3-2 win over Chester Nomads III, while Capenhurst Villa FC Vets also went through to the third round as they beat Orange Athletic 3-1.

Meanwhile, CWFL Championship team Unitor progressed in the Northern Cup after they claimed an incredible 7-4 away win at Sacre Coeur Old Boys.

Rossmore Rangers and Princes Villa both exited the competition, though, as they went down to 2-1 and 5-2 defeats against St Helens Town Reserves and Crewe FC Reserves respectively.

In CWFL league action, Hartford Vets kept themselves at the top of Division Two courtesy of a 2-1 win over Ashton Vets.

second placed Ellesmere Port Town Vets scored all five goals in the final 30 minutes to complete an emphatic 5-0 scoreline over Crossway. Phil Evans scored three, while Iain Hughes and Matty Crank also found the net.

FC Vaults recorded their first win of the season as they claimed a 5-2 victory over Frodsham Park Vets.