FOLLOWING weeks of disruption due to bad weather in the Chester and Wirral Football League, most teams returned to action on the weekend.

Shaftesbury Youth and Higher Bebington Kelma both helped themselves to big wins in the Premier Division, with comprehensive victories over Cestrian Alex and Helsby Reserves respectively.

Tom Taft scored twice to add to strikes from teammates Ryan Pleavin, Liam Crawford, Ian McGraa and Lee Griffiths to seal second placed Shaftesbury’s 6-0 success over Cestrian Alex to bring them to within nine points of the league leaders Sutton Athletic.

Higher Bebington Kelma, meanwhile, nearly reached double figures as they routed Helsby Reserves 9-0 thanks to strikes from Kenny Mahon (2), Sean Burgess, Josh Griffiths, Luke Gordon, James Marsden, Ben Robinson, Luke Walker and Andy Blakeborough.

Elsewhere in the division, Groves Athletic moved level on points with opponents Christleton after goals from Jack Rigby and Liam Smith gave them a 2-1 win, with Zacc Threadgold replying for the Swans.

Ellesmere Port FC jumped up to third in the table, leapfrogging a Blacon Youth FC Reserves side who they beat 4-3 thanks to goals from Tom Perrin (2), Steve Duckers and Ben Lennon.

There was an incredible 12-goal thriller in the CWFL Championship as leaders Unitor overcame FC Duddon United 7-5 in an entertaining contest.

Vinnie O’Toole struck a hat-trick in the game to add to strikes from Derek Taylor, Paul Wallace, Jason Bull and Chris Hill to seal the points for Unitor. Will Furmedge and Tom Evans both hit braces for FC Duddon United, while Joe Clark scored the side’s fifth.

Second placed AFC Park North slipped five points behind Unitor as they drew 2-2 with Princes Villa in their second draw in as many games. Lee Doyle scored both for Park North, while Michael Cooper and Joe Douthwaite ensured both teams left with a point.

Sam Baker and Sam Jones both scored as Chester Nomads III also drew 2-2 in their game with Orange Athletic who had Louis Grogan and Jack McGrogan on target.

Shaftesbury Youth Reserves moved up to third after Connor Sandham’s treble helped them to a 5-0 success over Hoole Rangers, with Anthony Povall and Nathan Thomas scoring the other two.

Mitch Jarvis scored for Crossway in their 2-1 reverse against Hoole Rovers, while James Lally scored three and Paddy Lally added another to earn Upton JFC Youth a 4-0 win over Rossmore Rangers.

In the CWFL Vets Division Two, league leaders Hartford were held to a 1-1 draw with Dee Rangers Vets, while Phil Evans scored five to add to Scott Rowley’s brace for second placed Ellesmere Port Town Vets in their 7-2 rout at Frodsham Park Vets.

Luca Trassoti hit four and Steve Whittaker added another to earn Ashton Vets a 5-3 victory over FC Vaults. Elsewhere in the league, Nags Head Bunbury Vets hammered Crossway Vets 7-2.

Dan Butler (2), Jonny Stubbs, Simon Mitchelson, Alex Morrisroe, Dave Thomas and Syd Keenan sealed the points, while Steve Gore and Paul Molyneux were the Crossway marksmen.

The game between Neston Nomads Vets and Cherrybrook in the Northern Cup had to be abandoned after a Cherrybrook player suffered a suspected broken leg.