TEAMS from the Chester and Wirral Football League were in cup action this weekend as the Tom Gerraghty Memorial Trophy got underway in entertaining fashion with a goalkeeper scoring from 40-yards.

The CWFL Premier Division league leaders, Sutton Athletic, were the biggest winners on the day as they put a fellow Premier Division Cestrian Alex side to the sword with an 11-0 win.

But despite finding the net five teams, Connor Doyle was perhaps outdone by his goalkeeper teammate Adam McGee who crashed home a stunning free-kick from 40-yards.

Matty Hall scored a hat-trick, while Peter Barnett added another two goals to complete the rout, and safely move their team into the second round of the competition.

FC Duddon United also progressed with Will Furnedge’s treble adding to a strike from Jonathan Hallam to earn a 4-2 win over a Hartford Vets side who had Danny Roberts and Marcelo Pereira on target.

Josh Leach and Tom Walsh grabbed the goals in a 2-2 draw to take Hoole Rangers into extra time and eventually penalties with Chester Nomads III. But it was the Nomads who held their nerve during the spot kicks as they went through 4-3 on penalties.

The dreaded spot kicks were also needed as goals from Nags Head Vets’ Syd Keenan and Damien Woon were not enough to see off Higher Bebington Kelma who fought for a 2-2 draw before progressing 5-4 on penalties to eliminate Nags Head.

Orange Athletic and Ashton FC Vets also drew 2-2 with Stu Drury and Mike Sullivan scoring for Orange, while Stuart Mackie and Matt Killgannon were on target for an Ashton side who then lost out 4-2 on penalties.

The CWFL Championship leaders Unitor upset Blacon Youth Reserves of the Premier Division with a 3-2 win showing they are more than capable of competing in the league above. Vinnie O’Toole scored two and Paul Wallace fired in the other for Unitor.

Capenhurst Villa Vets comprehensively beat Higher Bebington Kelma Vets with Damien McGinnigle scoring two in their 6-1 succes. Tony Ashton, Chris Yew, Chris McCready and Phil Srapp also found the net in the big win.

Elsehere in the first round of the TGM Trophy, Christleton beat AFC Park North 3-0, while Avenue Vets overcame Crossway 5-3 and Ellesmere Port FC saw off Groves Athletic with a 2-1 win.

Five of the 16 first round clashes were postponed due to the weather, with those fixtures now scheduled to take place on Saturday, January 4.

Full Chester and Wirral Football League TGM Trophy first round results: AFC Park North 0-3 Christleton; Avenue Vets 5-3 Crossway; Blacon Youth Club Reserves 2-3 Unitor AFC; Capenhurst Villa Vets 6-1 Higher Bebington Kelma Vets; Groves Athletic 1-2 Ellesmere Port FC; Hartford Vets 2-4 FC Duddon United; Hoole Rangers 2-2 (3-4 pens) Chester Nomads FC III; Nags Head Bunbury Vets 2-2 (4-5 pens) Higher Bebington Kelma; Orange Athletic Chester 2-2 (4-2 pens) Ashton Vets; Sutton Athletic 11=0 Cestrian Alex; Upton JFC 4-0 Blacon Youth Vets

Postponed TGM Trophy fixtures: Hoole Rovers v Helsby Reserves; Neston Nomads Vets v Tarvin Athletic Vets; Shaftesbury Youth v Shaftesbury Youth Reserves; Upton JFC Youth v Rossmore Rangers; Upton JFC Vets v Princes Villa JFC.