A LATE penalty handed Axis United all three points in their Section A clash against Vauxhall Motors in the Chester and District Sunday League.

The referee pointed to the spot in the 89th minute after adjudging a Motors defender to have handled a cross into the box as they went to clear.

Axis United’s Jordan Fulton held his nerve to convert his effort from 12 yards and earn his side their second victory of the season which takes them up to fifth.

The penalty only came after both sides missed a string of chances beforehand, with Axis keeper pushing a Vauxhall cross on to the bar either side of Motors missing glorious chances to take the lead.

Axis United had the ball in the net long before their late penalty too, but the officials once again took centre stage as a decision was made to rule out the effort.

In the first round of the Chester and District Sunday FA Cup, meanwhile, Tarvin Rex came out on top against their Section B rivals Axis United Innovent.

Tarvin took an early lead when Lee Meacock found the net ten minutes in, although their lead wasn’t to last long as Mark Frances equalised soon after with a delightful lob from 25-yards out.

Regan Williams put his Tarvin team back ahead shortly before half-time, but once again the lead was wiped out when Liam Ashton pulled Axis level soon after the restart.

Tarvin went back ahead, though, when Luke Noble-Smith found the net before his teammate Andy Reid sealed a 4-2 win with a free kick which took a wicked deflection to wrongfoot the Innovent goalkeeper.

Meanwhile, Christleton Athletic edged into the second round of the Sunday League Cup courtesy of a narrow 1-0 first-round win over Upton Youth Centre.

Chris Simmons scored the only goal of the game in the first half to give his Christleton team the win, although Upton missed several chances to get themselves back in it.

While Upton Youth hit the post and had a goal disallowed in the tie, their goalkeeper also pulled off a number of fine saves to deny Christleton a second.