Marcus Bignot admits Chester’s next two results will determine whether further funds are made available to keep Gary Roberts and Dominic Vose.

Hometown midfielder Roberts joined the Blues in January and money sought from the club’s Community Trust saw his deal extended by a month, while winger Vose has been playing for expenses-only since signing on a short-term non-contract basis following his release by Bromley, starting Chester’s last three matches.

Boss Bignot would undoubtedly like to keep hold of the duo but accepts if forthcoming results against Bromley and Dover Athletic – both at the Deva – don’t go to plan, it could leave the Blues cut well adrift in the National League’s bottom four, with relegation growing more inevitable by the week.

“The situation we have got is that there was a little bit of money left over for Vose but we are talking weeks,” said Bignot, whose side are six points adrift of safety with a far worse goal difference than those above the drop zone.

“We are going to get a situation where Gary Roberts, there will have to be a decision made, and there will have to be a decision made on Dom Vose. Unfortunately, that’s where we are.

“You have seen the kind of quality they bring. We are working on next to nothing but on that next to nothing we are certainly bringing in players who are making a difference. It’s not longevity, we are not working on that basis.

“There could be interest from other clubs, it’s as obvious as that. But in the right here, right now there are going to be conversations over whether we can keep Gary Roberts and whether we can keep Dom Vose.

“While we are still in it - and I believe we are still in it - I will be fighting to keep a Gaz Roberts and a Dom Vose and still looking out there for someone who doesn’t cost us a penny and doesn’t cost us a penny on expenses, because for now we don’t even have that. What little money we did have that has gone out now.

“We are still looking believe it or not, we have to because we still might lose players and if we do then we have to make sure we have adequate replacements.

“We are getting a little bit thin and we are down to bare bones at the back and will be down to bare bones in other areas of the pitch if one or two do move on.”

Bignot stressed he will ‘respect’ any decision the club make if the board are open with him and explain their reasonings behind decisions regarding the first-team.

“If the gap becomes too big then I would understand the football club’s decision,” he added. “All I ever work on - and I think I’m easy to work with and work for - all I want is honesty and I will always respect the club’s decision.

“Just tell me the reasons why and I will always respect it. I just want that two way relationship and if there is that understanding and communication then you are always going to respect each others decisions.”