More than two million families have been warned they could be missing out on Council Tax Support worth an average of £1,513 a year.

Some households have seen council tax bills increase by ten per cent since the start of April, while the average bill across the country has increased by an average of £106 a year.

But millions of households are missing out on support that could vastly reduce those bills.

Almost 2.3 million people are missing out on claiming a combined £3.4 billion in Council Tax Support, the Sun reports.

The scheme helps people on low income or benefits get money off their council tax bill.

It could reduce your council tax bill by up to 90 per cent depending on your circumstances.

The average claim for working-age council tax support is £1,464, while the support for pensioners is worth an average of £1,670.

Policy in Practice founder Deven Ghelani told the Sun: “Behind these huge figures lie individual families struggling to cope.

“This support exists for a reason and if we plug this £23billion gap and lift people out of poverty it will give them healthier lives, better educational attainment and longer life expectancy – and the costs to the NHS and social care would fall.”

You can apply for the support here.

You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

What you get depends on:

  • where you live - each council runs its own scheme
  • your circumstances (for example income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
  • your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

Who does not have to pay council tax?

Some people do not have to pay council tax which includes:

  • under 18 years old
  • on certain apprentice schemes
  • 18 or 19 years old and in full-time education
  • a full-time student at college or university
  • under 25 years old and get funding from the Education and Skills Funding Agency
  • a student nurse
  • a foreign language assistant registered with the British Council
  • severely mentally impaired
  • a live-in carer for someone who is not your partner, spouse, or child under 18
  • a diplomat

Additionally, you will get 25% off your bill if you pay Council Tax and either live on your own and everyone else in your house is disregarded.