A Cheshire venue has been forced to close following a carbon monoxide leak which left many visitors feeling unwell.

Investigations were carried out at Planet Ice, Widnes, after reports of ‘several’ people falling unwell following a visit to an ice hockey game last Saturday.

Ice hockey team Widnes Wild took to social media on Monday to share that they had received reports of attendees with ‘varying levels of illness’ following the game.

On social media, one person claimed that they had to attend hospital with breathing difficulties following their visit to the ice rink at The Hive Leisure Park.

Halton Borough Council has confirmed that investigations at the site have ‘identified’ carbon monoxide.

A spokesperson for environmental health said: "Investigations have continued, and testing carried out at the site identified carbon monoxide.

“The owners of the business have been informed and are working with us to ensure there is no further risk to the public.

“Planet Ice remains closed.

"Environmental Health has advised the owners as to actions they can take to ensure that the incident does not occur again. It will remain closed until our officers are assured that it is safe."

Planet Ice has also issued a statement confirming that the venue is closed and that the cause of concern has been addressed.

It reads: “Following concerns relating to a report of carbon monoxide levels at the rink at the weekend – Planet Ice Widnes is currently closed.”

“The cause of the concern has now been identified and addressed.

“In the meantime, anyone who was present at the site at the weekend is advised to seek medical advice if they feel unwell.”