CHESTER FC have condemned hooligans who marred the club's play-off semi-final game against Brackley Town on Sunday, May 7.

A crowd of 4,479 was in attendance at the Deva Stadium for the match, including 242 from Brackley Town, in a game which saw the Blues lose 1-0 from a 79th-minute strike by George Carline, to put an end to their season. Brackley will now face Kidderminster Harriers in the play-off final this Sunday.

But there were ugly scenes which followed as scores of people, including adults and children, vaulted the home stand walls to rush at the away supporters, who had begun to cheer their players and manager following their victory.

At least 100 people invaded the pitch, while smoke bombs were thrown between both sets of supporters, before police reinforcements entered the pitch to break up the confrontation.

After leaving the ground a number of Chester fans also damaged coaches which were parked outside the stadium.

An investigation into the disorder has been launched and officers are currently analysing video footage.

Chief Inspector Jez Taylor, of Cheshire Police Uniform Operations, said: “While the majority of fans were well behaved, there were a small minority who were intent on causing disorder and their behaviour at the end of the match was totally unacceptable.

“An investigation into the disorder has been launched and we will be taking robust action against all those found to be involved, including possible banning orders.”

In a statement released on Monday, Chester FC condemned the actions of a minority whose actions meant the Blues' own squad and manager did not return to the pitch to thank the well-behaving fans for their support throughout the season.

The club statement read: "Chester Football Club is appalled at the violence and criminal damage caused at the end of our National League North play-off semi-final with Brackley Town on Sunday.

"We utterly condemn the actions of those responsible and apologise to Brackley Town and supporters of both clubs.

"Our club is ashamed to be associated with anyone involved in the crowd disorder and angry that the actions of a minority have completely overshadowed the occasion.

"Such behaviour not only tarnishes our reputation, but also has a financial cost and places the football club at risk of fines, points deductions or playing behind closed doors.

"The impact is also felt by our staff, volunteers, and the players and management, who were prevented from returning to the pitch to thank our genuine fans for their support this season.

"We have extensive CCTV footage which will be shared with the authorities and will work with Cheshire Police to ensure the perpetrators are identified and face the strongest action.

"Anyone with any information should contact Cheshire Police on 101, or visit, quoting IML 1539302.​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌​‍‌​‌‌‌​"