A FATHER and son who got involved in a "shameful" fight at an Ellesmere Port pub have been sentenced.

Michael Griffiths Senior and Michael Levi Griffiths Junior appeared at Chester Crown Court on Tuesday, May 11, having previously pleaded guilty to affray before their trial was due to take place.

Honorary Recorder of Chester Judge Steven Everett said the two had been engaged in "loud, boorish behaviour" at the White Swan pub on the night of February 23, 2019, before the fight began.

Griffiths Senior, 52, of Greasby Drive, Great Sutton, Ellesmere Port and Griffiths Junior, 30, of Holm Lane, Oxton, were both handed suspended prison sentences.

Prosecuting, Brian Treadwell said there was CCTV footage at the pub which showed what had happened that night.

It was at about 11.20pm when the defendants, who had been out drinking with two other family members, were told by a man sitting at a table to keep the noise down.

Mr Treadwell explained the situation escalated into violence, with Griffiths Junior starting the fight.

Judge Everett remarked, as footage was played of the subsequent punch-up involving two victims: "They all completely lose their sense of perspective."

He added: "No-one comes out of this well," as the victims were shown retaliating with violence themselves.

The fight ended when the Griffiths family were ejected from the pub, with Griffiths Junior motioning to go back inside, but being held back by his father.

One of the victims was taken to A&E with a suspected broken nose, but had bruising to the eyelids and nose.

Another was taken to A&E with cuts, bruises and bite marks.

Griffiths Junior had one previous conviction for battery from 2015, while Griffiths Senior had five previous convictions for seven offences, the last for common assault in 2003.

Defending Griffiths Junior, Bernice Campbell said the defendant had partially acted the way he did because he had been put in a headlock and punched.

They had underestimated "how loud they had been".

Judge Everett replied: "They were pretty yobbish – too loud, drunk, and causing people around them to have to say something. Their behaviour after that was an unpleasant and aggressive response."

Honorary Recorder of Chester Judge Steven Everett. Picture by Andrew Price / View Finder Pictures

Honorary Recorder of Chester Judge Steven Everett. Picture by Andrew Price / View Finder Pictures

Ms Campbell added Griffiths Junior was a hard-working man and a low risk of reoffending, had recently become a father and was a carer for a relative. A pre-sentence report showed "a different side" to the defendant.

Andrew McInnes, defending Griffiths Senior, said two references had been submitted in support of the defendant, one from Cheshire West and Chester councillor Paul Donovan, and Griffiths Senior had the local nickname 'Councillor Griffiths' for his local involvement in the community.

The defendant had been a taxi driver with an unblemished record, and was likely to lose his licence as a result of this conviction.

The fight had seen "an element of the red mist descending".

Judge Everett, sentencing, said to the defendants: "You should look back on it with shame and remorse.

"Whatever the behaviour of the other people involved, ask yourself if it was your family on the receiving end of it, of two men, loud and boorish, completely overreacting. Truly unimpressive."

Griffiths Junior was sentenced to five months in prison, suspended for 18 months, while Griffiths Senior was sentenced to 16 weeks, again suspended for 18 months.

Both are to complete an anger management course as part of 20 days rehabilitation, and pay a victim surcharge.

The prosecution had requested compensation for one of the victims, but having seen the CCTV footage, the judge responded: "Absolutely not. That is one thing they don't deserve."