A DRIVER who was travelling to work had a lucky escape when his car burst into flames due to an electrical fault.

The incident happened on Liverpool Road in Backford at around 5.40am today (November 6).

One fire engine from Powey Lane attended the blaze, with the vehicle being described as "well alight".

Thankfully, the motorist – who was travelling from Wrexham – managed to get out of his vehicle quickly and was not injured.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service's Powey Lane Fire Station Facebook page: "White watch have attended a car fire overnight in Backford.

"The driver had driven from Wrexham and was only 50m from work when his car ignited due to an electrical fault.

"Thankfully he wasn't injured and got out of the car quickly. The fire was put out using a high pressure hose reel."

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "At around 5.40am firefighters received reports of a car being on fire in the Liverpool Road area of Backford, near Chester.

"On arrival the crew found the vehicle well alight.

"A firefighter wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire with a hose reel jet.

"The car was then damped down to make it safe. Firefighters were in attendance for around 45 minutes."