FIREFIGHTERS were called to reports of a blaze at a Chester city centre flat yesterday evening (October 21).

Crews from Chester and Powey Lane attended the heavily smoke-logged City Road property at around 6.20pm.

They forced their way into the third-floor flat after receiving no response from the occupant.

Luckily, the crews managed to escort a man from the property who was given oxygen as a precautionary measure.

The smoke had been caused by burnt cooking.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "At around 6.20pm firefighters from Chester and Powey Lane were dispatched to reports of a fire in a flat on City Road in Chester.

"On arrival at the address crews could see smoke coming from a third floor window.

"There was no response from the occupant, so firefighters forced entry into the address and once inside they found that the property was heavily smoke logged due to burnt cooking.

"One man was escorted from the address and given oxygen as a precautionary measure. He was then passed to the care of paramedics.

"The crews then used a large fan to clear the smoke from the property.

"Firefighters were detained at the address for around one hour and 40 minutes."