STAFF and customers had to be evacuated after a fire broke out at a country pub.

Firefighters were called to the White Lion on Manley Road, Alvanley, at about 6pm yesterday (September 28).

The blaze involved a tumble dryer in the utility room and has caused damage to the rear of the building.

The White Lion confirmed on social media that no one was injured as a result of the incident, but the pub would now have to be closed while the damage is repaired.

Two fire engines – one from Runcorn and one from Powey Lane – attended the scene.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Firefighters were called to a fire at a pub on Manley Road in Frodsham. The fire involved a tumble dryer located in the utility room.

"Crews, wearing two breathing apparatus, used a hose reel to extinguish the flames.

"The thermal imaging camera was used to check if the fire had spread before a large fan was used to disperse the smoke.

"A number of people were evacuated from the pub as a precaution.

"Crews were in attendance for approximately one hour and fifty minutes."

The White Lion posted on its Facebook page: "Here at the White Lion we've always been famous for our roaring fires.

"Unfortunately tonight we experienced the wrong type of fire which has caused some damage to the rear of the property. Thankfully no one was injured and the team are all safe.

"We will however be closed for a couple of days while we assess and repair the damage.

"Apologies for any inconvenience caused, we will update via this page regarding reopening.

"Massive thanks to Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service for attending so quickly which reduced the level of damage caused."