TWO Sunday dinners were the cause behind Ellesmere Port firefighters being called out to two houses in Ellesmere Port on September 27.

In both instances, cooking left unattended caused smoke to billow out of the homes.

Two fire engines from Ellesmere Port were deployed to the first incident in Station Avenue, Little Sutton, at 1.16pm.

Firefighters received a report of a smoke alarm sounding and smoke coming out of a first floor flat.

Firefighters forced entry to the flat and evacuated the ground floor.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus inspected both floors.

They discovered that the smoke was caused by a chicken having been left cooked in an oven in the first floor flat.

They turned off the oven and used a large fan to clear smoke from the premises.

Firefighters were in attendance for around 45 minutes.

Later, firefighters were notified of a smoke alarm sounding at a domestic property in Alnwick Drive, Ellesmere Port at 3.45pm.

No-one was inside the property when one crew from Ellesmere Port arrived.

When someone returned home and let firefighters in, the crew discovered that the property was smoke-logged as a result of cooking food having been left unattended.

Firefighters used a large fan to clear the property of smoke.

They were in attendance for around 10 minutes.

For cooking safety tips, visit