THREE dogs were rescued from a house fire in Blacon in the early hours of Saturday (September 26).

Two fire engines, one from Powey Lane and one from Chester, were called to the scene in Fisher Road at 2.45am.

On arrival smoke alarms were sounding at the two-storey house and crews discovered the fire was in the ground floor kitchen, involving a tumble dryer.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house.

Three dogs were rescued from the property. Their owners were not at home.

The gas and electricity supplies to the house were isolated and a cordon was set up.

A covering jet was also set up and the fire was extinguished with a hose reel jet.

Once the fire was out the area affected by it was damped down to make it safe and a large fan was used to clear the house of smoke.

Firefighters were in attendance for around an hour.

An investigation into the cause of the fire has taken place.

It is believed to have been an accidental fire caused by tea towels containing oil having been dried in the tumble dryer.

For tumble dryer fire safety advice, visit