POLICE have condemned a stabbing attack in Ellesmere Port which left the victim needing a vital organ removed as "appalling".

Earlier this week The Standard reported that 45-year-old Anthony Gee, of Raby Court, Ellesmere Port, was jailed for nine years at Chester Crown Court after previously admitting the stabbing of 34-year-old Kurt Williams following a family dispute he did not need to get involved in.

Now police have condemned the attack, which took place in broad daylight in the town.

The court heard on Wednesday, July 22 a disagreement had taken place between Gee's brother and the victim after his daughter raised concerns about money being taken from a family member.

At around 11.30am on Wednesday, May 13, Gee met his daughter Courtney Gee and her partner Mr Williams at his brother’s flat on Whitby Road.

Mr Williams and Miss Gee then left the property with Anthony Gee following a short time later, armed with the knife.

Anthony Gee approached the victim as he stood at the junction of Whitby Road and Cambridge Road while looking in the opposite direction and stabbed him.

As the victim shouted to his girlfriend for help Anthony Gee walked back along Cambridge Road.

A taxi driver was stationary at traffic lights when he saw Anthony Gee attack Mr Williams.

He quickly put him inside his cab and drove to an ambulance station nearby.

Police were alerted and officers descended on the area along with the air ambulance and Mr Williams was taken to Aintree Hospital.

Following the attack, Anthony Gee returned to the address on Whitby Road and was swiftly arrested.

The court heard how shortly before the attack Anthony Gee sent a text message to a family member saying he was going to “jail today” in reference to the victim.

Anthony Gee was sentenced at Chester Crown Court after pleading guilty at an earlier hearing to wounding with intent.

Detective Constable Jake Connolly, from Ellesmere Port Local Policing Unit, said: “I believe Gee knew that day he was going to cause serious harm to the victim.

“At no point did the victim offer any violence towards Gee and would have been completely unaware of what was about to happen to him.

“The injuries he sustained were so severe he suffered internal bleeding and needed surgery but thankfully is now recovering at home.

“This brazen attack took place during the day and in full view of people who were driving by at the time. I want to take this opportunity to thank the witnesses who not only stopped to help the victim but who also came forward and supported the case.”

David Keane, Police and Crime Commissioner for Cheshire, said: “This was an appalling attack, which understandably shocked the local community.

“The quick response from officers and the emergency services provided vital reassurance for the public.

“I want to thank everyone involved for their hard work and dedication in securing a conviction in this case and hopefully providing some closure for the victim who has been through a very traumatic experience.”