FIREFIGHTERS responded to reports of smoke coming from underneath a paving slab in Chester following a power cut.

At about 10.40pm last night (Wednesday, July 8) a crew was called out to Mount Pleasant, Chester.

On arrival the crew discovered, via a thermal imaging camera, that the pavement was excessively hot.

Firefighters set up a cordon before handing the incident over to a Scottish Power engineer.

They were in attendance for about an hour and 15 minutes.

The smoke and heat are believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.