FURTHER warnings have been issued following an increase in outdoor fires over the weekend.

The situation has prompted fire chiefs to urge residents not to light fires, just days after making an appeal following a steep rise in call outs to blazes out in the open.

On Sunday, firefighters were tasked with extinguishing a smouldering camp fire at Delamere Forest which could have caused a large scale incident.

Last week's warning from Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service highlighted the increasing number of incidents involving disposable BBQs, garden waste and discarded cigarettes across the county.

However, despite the warnings, firefighters yet again had a busy weekend across Cheshire.

On Saturday, firefighters were called out to a property in Chester following reports of a wheelie bin fire. On arrival the crew discovered that the fire had been caused by ash from a barbecue being placed inside the bin.

A few hours later, firefighters attended Macclesfield Forest and had to extinguish an unattended disposable BBQ with a hose reel jet.

Firefighters in Crewe were then called to an incident where embers from a fire pit had spread to nearby conifers causing a fire.

Head of service delivery at Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, Neil Griffiths, said: “Following another weekend of hot and sunny weather, we have seen another increase in the number of fires in gardens and in public green spaces.

“These incidents could have led to serious devastation of Cheshire’s beautiful green spaces, people’s homes and more worryingly, could have caused someone severe injuries or even loss of life.

“Many of these fires could have been avoided if key safety advice was followed. Aside from the physical and emotional cost, these fires could have caused thousands of pounds worth of damage.

“Our message is clear, think before you act. Please follow safety guidance, it is there to protect you and those around you.”

If a fire starts accidentally, do not attempt to put the fire out yourself. Get away, stay away and call 999.