CREWS were called out to a fire at a Chester city centre flat.

Firefighters attended the incident on Albion Street shortly after midnight (March 26) following reports of a blaze in a third floor flat.

The fire involved bedding in an airing cupboard but was out on arrival.

One fire engine and an aerial ladder platform were sent to the incident, which is thought to have been caused by a hot light bulb coming into contact with the bedding.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "At around midnight firefighters were called to a report of a fire in a third floor flat in Albion Street, Chester.

"The fire involving bedding in an airing cupboard was out on arrival. Smoke alarms were sounding when the crew arrived.

"Firefighters removed the bedding and damped it down with water to make it safe. They were in attendance for around 25 minutes.

"The fire is believed to have been caused by a hot light bulb having come into contact with the bedding."