POLICE were called to reports of a man standing on the roof of a house in Whitby, Ellesmere Port, shouting and swearing at members of the public.

Chester Magistrates Court heard on Friday, March 20 that Stephen Shaun Lawrenson, 26, of Lime Street, Ellesmere Port, was verbally abusive throughout the entire incident in Whitby Road on March 5.

Prosecuting, Ayra Ali said a police officer got into the address that Lawrenson was on and coaxed him to come inside off the roof.

After coming side, Lawrenson was informed he would be arrested, and he pushed the police officer in the chest, as well as kicking out at him.

He had no previous relevant convictions.

Lawrenson pleaded guilty at the first opportunity to assaulting an emergency worker and using threatening and/or abusive behaviour to cause alarm or distress.

Defending, Howard Jones said Lawrenson had been in Liverpool drinking during the day and returned to Ellesmere Port to get into a friend's house above an Indian restaurant.

There was no answer and he decided to gain access through a window by the roof.

Mr Jones said: "By climbing up there, he attracted attention from the public.

"At that stage he does not believe he has done anything wrong and, in drink, made abusive comments.

"A police officer tried to coax him down, and one of the ways he did that was to say he would not be arrested.

"The officer then took hold of his arm when inside and the defendant said 'why are you doing that?'

"There was a bit of pushing and pulling and he was arrested for assaulting an emergency worker."

Mr Jones explained Lawrenson had been in the Army before and was looking to get back in, having gone there initially to sort himself out.

But he had gone to Ellesmere Port to take drugs, was found out by the Army and was discharged.

His long-term goal was to get back in there, Mr Jones told the court.

He had also made some admissions when interviewed by police.

A probation report heard this was Lawrenson's third offence committed while under the influence since 2014, and on this occasion he had spent £200 in Liverpool on drink for him and his friends.

The court heard he did have the skills to make changes in his lifestyle.

Magistrates handed Lawrenson a 12-month community order where he must complete 100 hours unpaid work.

He must pay a £90 victim surcharge and £85 court costs.

No compensation will be paid as magistrates said there was no injury to the officer that could be quantified.