FIREFIGHTERS were called out to a flat fire in Chester in the early hours of this morning.

Two fire engines attended, one from Chester and one from Powey Lane, shortly after 4.30am in Kent Road, Newton.

On arrival crews discovered that the fire was in a ground floor kitchen and that no-one was unaccounted for.

The electricity supply to the flat was isolated and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Firefighters also administered oxygen therapy to an occupier, before handing her over to the care of paramedics.

"Once the fire was out the area affected by it was damped down to make it safe, with temperatures monitored with a thermal imaging camera. A large fan was used to clear smoke from the flat.

"Firefighters left the flat once they were satisfied that it was safe. They were in attendance for around an hour."

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in a fridge-freezer.