A CHESTER man who made three hoax 999 calls when intoxicated has been handed a community order.

Adam Paul Davies, 35, of Sumner Road, pleaded guilty at Chester Magistrates Court on Friday, January 17, to making the hoax calls, which were all made on December 27, 2019.

Prosecuting, Alison Warburton said the first call happened when Davies claimed to be locked inside his home.

He rang again soon after, saying he was stuck in the home, and said his name was Warren Adams.

Both calls were given a 'G2' rating, in that emergency services would aim to attend within the hour.

The third phone call had Davies saying: "Oh my f***ing God, they are going to kill me. Put that knife away," before cutting off the phone call.

This was treated as a top-priority G1 call and emergency services were deployed to the address, where they found Davies alone and with no sign of any injury.

He was also not at his address, and could not give an explanation as to why he was at this house.

The homeowner arrived, who did know Davies but did not know why he was there.

They did not want to make a formal complaint but did want Davies to leave.

When interviewed, Davies accepted making the calls, saying he was intoxicated.

He was upset and remorseful during the interview, saying he had been struggling to deal with the death of his father.

He had two previous convictions, including for two similar offences, and this latest offence had happened while he was subject to an existing community order.

A probation report heard Davies was fully complying with the appointments on that order and had re-engaged with therapy groups, aware there were still underlying issues with alcohol to be resolved.

Stuart Flood, defending, said Davies had been struggling since his father died a couple of years ago.

He had drunk to excess and could not simply switch off drinking altogether immediately as that would be more harmful to him, but he had stopped taking vodka.

"He accepts he can't carry on in this vein, knowing he would be a nuisance to the emergency services," Mr Flood added. "The last thing they need is men like him causing disruption."

Mr Flood added Davies had been a genuine victim of crime himself in the past, but on this occasion was well aware he had caused a lot of inconvenience.

Magistrates revoked Davies's existing community order and placed him on a new 12-month order to include a 10-week 7pm-7am curfew.

He must also complete 35 days rehabilitation activity requirement, to include an alcohol treatment programme.

Davies must also pay a £90 victim surcharge and £85 court costs.