A FIRE alarm activation at a property in Chester was caused by cooking fumes, it has been confirmed.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service received a call shortly before 2pm on Friday reporting smoke alarms sounding at an address in The Waltons.

One fire engine attended from Chester

A spokesman for the fire and rescue service said: "On arrival the crew discovered that the alarms had been activated by cooking fumes.

"A man was assessed by paramedics and firefighters ventilated the property.

"Firefighters were in attendance for nearly an hour."

For cooking safety tips visit www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/home-safety/kitchen-fire-safety