FIREFIGHTERS were called to a home in Ellesmere Port in the early hours after smoke was seen coming through the floorboards.

The crew from the Port station attended the property in Luton Road just before 1am today (Friday, September 6).

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service said: "Crews wearing breathing apparatus lifted the floorboards in the living room and checked the temperature of the electrical wiring. They discovered they were increasing in heat. Electricians attended and the electric was isolated.

"They then removed floorboards and cut away parts of joists which had been affected by charring and used water to cool the affected area."