ONE person was taken to hospital after unattended food on a cook started a fire in the early hours of this morning.

Firefighters were called to reports of an alarm sounding in a block of flats in Treborth Road just before 1.30am.

Crews from Chester, Mollington and Ellesmere Port attended but the fire was out on arrival.

They treated one man before handing him to the care of paramedics.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue said: "A fire alarm sounding at a block of flats in Chester alerted firefighters to a pan of food which had been left unattended on a cooker. The fire was out on arrival and crews gave oxygen therapy to one man who was suffering smoke inhalation. Paramedics attended and an ambulance took the casualty to hospital.

"Crews were in attendance for approximately one hour."