BURNT toast sparked an emergency response by two fire crews in Chester.

Firefighters from the city station and Powey Lane were called to a property on Norris Road in Blacon at noon on Wednesday (August 14).

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said there had been reports of a smoke alarm sounding in a flat.

He added: "On arrival crews discovered that the alarm had been activated as a result of toast being burnt.

"Firefighters ventilated the flat to clear the smoke and were in attendance for around half-an-hour."