A YOUNG Chester man involved in a midnight-hour melee outside a city centre pub has been handed a community order.

Ryan Wallace, 21, of Blacon Point Road, pleaded guilty to the incident of threatening behaviour, which happened at 11.40pm on February 22 outside the Off the Wall pub.

Appearing at Chester Magistrates Court on Friday, March 15, Wallace also admitted possessing cannabis when stopped by police on March 4.

Magistrates took into account that Wallace had been out of trouble for six years until three months ago, when his mother sadly died, and he had struggled to cope since, having turned to alcohol.

Prosecuting, Alan Currums told the court Wallace had attacked a man inside the pub and the scuffle continued outside, and footage was captured on CCTV showing him throwing punches.

In police interview, Wallace said he was out with friends on the night and was "10 out of 10" on a drunkenness scale during the fight, accepting his behaviour was inappropriate.

For the cannabis possession charge, Wallace was stopped and searched by police officers in Eastgate Street and a small amount of cannabis was found.

He was arrested and admitted it was for his personal use, had paid £10 for it, but could not say where it had come from.

Adrian Evans, defending, said Wallace initially intervened in the group to protect his friend, but had gone beyond that.

Mr Evans added: "He has made the wrong decision, a foolish decision, and regrets getting involved."

A probation report heard the death of Wallace's mum had had a significant effect on him and he had "resorted to misusing alcohol".

As part of the 12-month community order, Wallace must complete 100 unpaid hours work, 35 days of a rehabilitation activity requirement and a thinking skills programme.

He must pay £85 court costs and an £85 victim surcharge.

The cannabis was to be forfeited and destroyed.

Philip Barlow, 19, of Wordsworth Crescent, Chester, and Cameron Edwards, 20, of Llys-Y-Wennal, Northop Hall, previously pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour during the same melee when they appeared at Chester Magistrates Court on Monday, March 11. They are due to be sentenced later this month.

A fourth man, Harry Travers, 19, of Chaucer Close, Ewloe, has denied a charge of threatening behaviour and will stand trial on March 29.