A PLASTIC colander sparked an emergency response in Ellesmere Port last night.

An absent-minded resident on Sutton Way had left it on top of a hot cooker causing it to melt and trigger the smoke alarm at around 10.05pm.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Shortly after 10pm firefighters were called to reports of smoke in a kitchen area at a domestic property in Ellesmere Port.

"Crews attended the scene and discovered that the smoke had been caused by a plastic colander had melted after being left on top of a hot cooker.

"The team used a large fan to clear the smoke from the building and were detained at the scene for approximately 20 minutes."