A BLAZE involving a large amount of hay is understood to have started accidentaly, fire chiefs have concluded.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service received a call at about 4.45pm yesterday (Monday, July 9) reporting an incident involving a trailer on School Lane in Childer Thornton, Ellesmere Port.

On arrival the two fire crews, one from Ellesmere Port and one from Powey Lane, discovered a trailer stacked with hay well alight.

Firefighters used a water shuttle to get enough water to the area, as well as breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire, which affected a hedgerow.

The crews then damped the area down to make sure it was safe.

A spokesman for the fire and rescue service said the blaze, which involved about 100 bales of hay, is believed to have been started accidentally.