FOUR fire crews spent nearly three hours tackling a blaze at a chip shop in Chester yesterday (Sunday, May 13).

One person suffered smoke inhalation and was treated by paramedics at The Parade in Blacon at around 3.50pm.

The hydraulic platform was also sent to the scene to allow crews to tackle the fire, which sent smoke billowing from the chimney.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “On arrival firefighters discovered lots of smoke coming from a chimney and that the fire at the chip shop, which is part of a row of terraced shops, involved a fryer.

“Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire, which was confined to the chip shop.

“They then used a large high-pressure fan to clear the smoke and a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots.

“The loft space was checked and a hydraulic platform was set up and cooled the chimney. One casualty suffering from smoke inhalation was passed over to the care of paramedics.

“Firefighters were in attendance for nearly three hours.”