AN Ellesmere Port man who breached a restraining order and made repeated threats to his sister and her partner is starting a 34 month jail term.

A judge told Gary Cole, 52, of Joseph Groome Towers, that threats to kill was the most serious offence he faced.

And he warned him that he was on the brink of receiving an extended sentence under Dangerous Sentence provisions “which means you will spent a substantial part of the rest of your life in custody if you repeat this offence”.

Judge Robert Warnock said Cole's record was “appalling” and unless he stopped his “selfish exercise” of drinking too much it was probable he could continue to offend.

Derek Jones, prosecuting, told Liverpool Crown Court that Cole’s sister Amanda had kindly allowed him to live with her and her partner, Kelly Cole, in early 2017 but after finding out he was taking drugs he was told to leave.

His relationship with them broke down and in September he called at the home of his niece Jasmine Cole uninvited and she called her mum and Kelly who went round to the property. During an argument with the women Cole said he would “bury them alive”.

The next month his sister let him stay with them for one night as she felt sorry for him but his erratic behaviour led them telling him to leave and put his possessions outside.

He threatened to kill Kelly and burn their home down and damaged a window in their car.

He was jailed for 14 weeks for those offences and while in custody at HM Altcourse in Liverpool, despite a restraining order, he started writing “self-serving” letters to Amanda and Kelly about three times a week including two threats.

In one he threatened Kelly that he would “chop her up and feed her to the pigs”.

He also warned that he would be out soon and there would be “manic mayhem” and “fire ultimately kills”.

When later arrested he was “ranting for about five minutes about his relatives and particularly Kelly”, said Mr Jones.

He told officers the only way to stop him would be “to shoot him”. Mr Jones added that the victims are scared of what will happen when he is released.

Cole pleaded guilty to five offences involving sending a threatening message, harassment, threats to kill and breaching a restraining order.

The court heard he had committed 147 previous offences, mainly for dishonesty.

In mitigation the judge was told Cole had not had an easy life and had mental health issues, he drank too much and used drugs.

However he now wanted to work with the appropriate agencies and was “deeply remorseful”.