A week of turmoil at Chester ended with a battling defeat at Boreham Wood in rookie boss Calum McIntyre's first game in caretaker charge.

Goals from Michael Folivi, Morgan Ferrier, Ricky Shakes and Bruno Andrade's penalty ensured it was a comfortable afternoon for Luke Garrard's promotion hopefuls with James Akintunde at least restoring some pride with two late consolation goals which Chester's attacking intent warranted.

Even by Chester’s standards it had been a dramatic week with Marcus Bignot sacked on Wednesday by the club’s board at a youth team cup semi-final, with directors understood to have been irked by comments made by Bignot following last weekend’s 2-0 defeat against Tranmere Rovers, which saw relegation confirmed.

On the back of Bignot’s dismissal, which took place less than 24 hours after a rare home victory over Bromley on Tuesday, academy head coach McIntyre was installed as caretaker manager for the remaining three games of the season, the 24-year-old becoming the youngster manager in the club’s history. McIntyre had previously been assisting Bignot for the past three matches.

Martin Farley and Paul Kelly – who have worked with McIntyre at the Blues academy – formed the backroom team, both volunteering their services for free to help their young manager.

There was one enforced change to the line-up as Andy Halls didn’t travel due to injury, James Jones back in the side at centre-half with Shaun Hobson switching to right-back.

Gary Roberts left Keiran Murtagh feeling dazed after a crunching early challenge and Chester actually began the opening exchanges in decent fashion, passing the ball neatly. However, disaster struck after just seven minutes as Wood took the lead.

Chester failed to clear their lines 20 yards out and Andrade let fly with a left-footed volley which took a slight deflection off Folivi and angled into the top corner past a despairing Andy Firth.

Luke Garrard’s side nearly doubled the lead just four minutes later as Murtagh’s powerful header was tipped over the bar by Firth, Danny Woodards then heading wide from the subsequent corner.

The Blues rallied to their credit, Akintunde surging past two defenders and playing in Harry White but Grant Smith rushed out to parry clear for a corner. Akintunde again broke forward and laid off Craig Mahon, who cut inside the right wing and played a delightful ball across goal but no one in a yellow shirt was there to convert.

Kane Smith should have doubled Wood’s lead on 23 minutes but blazed over from 12 yards after a mazy dribble by Morgan Ferrier.

Smith was getting plenty of joy down the right flank and his deep cross was met by Ferrier but his header sailed over.

Jones hacked Ferrier down on the left wing and was cautioned for the challenge, before Mahon danced his way past a couple of defenders but dragged his shot wide.

Just prior to half-time, Chester shot themselves in the foot by conceding a needless penalty. Right-back Smith had possession but was running away from goal and was foolishly tripped by Akintunde, giving the officials no option but to award a spot-kick.

Andrade stepped up and emphatically thumped it into the bottom corner. A long way back for McIntyre’s young side.

Chester started the second-half brightly as White drove at Wood’s backline and took aim from 25 yards but his effort was deflected wide.

David Stephens should have made it three for Garrard’s hosts on 52 minutes but he fired wide from six yards out, before Andrade missed a guilt-edged opening, passing wide of Firth’s near post.

Boreham Wood were now fully in the ascendancy and put the game to bed shortly before the hour mark. It was all too easy for the hosts as Ferrier danced past three Chester defenders, sat Firth down before drilling the ball firmly into the back of the net.

The beleaguered Blues were now in danger of suffering a real pounding, with confidence visibly sapped from the players, who have been through the mill this season.

Anderson was cautioned for a reckless tackle from behind on Andrade, before Murtagh’s drive from 18 yards was superbly tipped over by on-loan Liverpool stopper Firth.

Nathan Brown – who had scored a tremendous goal in the 3-2 midweek win over Bromley – was introduced and drew a foul from Tom Champion which saw a yellow brandished for the Wood midfielder.

Champion then went close with a back post header which Firth expertly stopped down low.

The Blues grabbed a consolation on 74 minutes, the very least their efforts deserved. Crawford collected possession 30 yards out and fed a fine ball into Akintunde’s path, who fired a composed finish into the far corner of Smith’s goal.

Alex Downes came on for his first-team debut, replacing Jones, but it was Wood who extended their advantage in stoppage time as Shakes found acres of space on the left-hand side of the penalty area and blasted a fine shot home in off the crossbar.

Karl Cunningham slid Akintunde in for a second goal deep into stoppage time but it was disappointment for McIntyre in his first game at the helm

Boreham Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Woodards, Ricketts, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade, Folivi (Sach 74), Ferrier; Subs: Harfield, Quigley, Doe, Davey.

Chester: Firth, Hobson, Jones (Downes 87), Astles, Anderson, Crawford, Roberts (Cunningham 78), Vose, Mahon, Akintunde, White (Brown 68); Subs: Gough, Archer.

Goals: Folivi 7, Andrade 44 (pen), Ferrier 58, Shakes 90+1; Akintunde 74, 90+4.

Referee: Richard Hulme - 8/10

Attendance: 551 (94 away)