Ellesmere Port first XV thrashed Southern Nomads 43-0 to claim their first silverware of the season in the Cheshire Plate final.

The Isle of Man outfit almost had a wasted trip after the original venue, Birkenhead Park, was left waterlogged pre-match but Caldy stepped in to the host the showpiece match.

Port always looked dangerous when counter-attacking with ball in hand and were able to punish the opposition with two breakaway tries, both involving the flying young winger Jack Done.

Done made a break down one wing to take Port into opposition territory where the ball was then worked out to the opposite flank and Jordan McGrath to go over for the first. Shortly after and another Port turnover found the hands of Done, this time beating his outside man to run the length of the pitch and score. With Joe Lader converting the extras Port took a 12-0 lead.

Port went down to 14 men but Anthony Jones broke through the Nomads defence and beat the last defender with ease to score a superb individual try.

Jake Dibble and Jim Shinton were then sin-binned in quick succession to leave Port down to 13 men but they managed to survive without conceding and Joel Gibbs scored in the corner, converting too for a 24-0 lead.

Ross Waterfield ran in a fifth try before Jones cut inside to find Gibbs who released Rhys Maccies to run in under the posts. Niall Grant crashed over for a seventh try to take the final score to a dominant 43-0. Skipper Grant claimed the man of the match award although he was run close by Sam Bethell and Dibble.

Port are back in league action next weekend when they face second-placed Garstang in a top of the table clash.

Jan van Deventer hailed an 'exceptional' performance from his players as Chester recorded a 34-5 victory over Leicester Lions at Hare Lane in National League Two North.

Andy Baston set the hosts on their way with an unconverted fifth minute try, before Lions wing Devon Constant levelled the score with a smart finish 10 minutes later.

An evenly-contested first half followed before Jonny Charmley crossed the whitewash just before the interval after good interplay from the hosts, with James Robbins' conversion making it 12-5.

Van Deventer's men upped the tempo in the second half as right wing Macc Van Sertima powered over the line following strong first-phase play.

Sustained pressure on the visitors' line culminated in Tom Foden releasing George Baxter who claimed Chester's fourth try.

Substitute Andrew Oakden then made an instant impact as he intercepted a loose Lions pass and sprinted a full 80 metres to cross the try line.

A late breakaway from Sean Green then set up Oakden again who capped a superb cameo with his second try of the contest.

Reflecting on his side's strong display, Van Deventer said: "It was a brilliant performance right from the start in terms of our continuity in attack and our finishing.

"We kept the ball well for long periods and negated the threat of a pretty handy Lions side. The confidence was with us throughout and we looked dominant from the first whistle to the last."