TRIBUTES have been paid to a motorcyclist killed in a horror crash at Oulton Park race track.

Michael ‘Mick’ Carson, 52, was killed when five motor-cyclists taking part in a track day crashed on Saturday, O ctober 5.

Two other riders were seriously injured in the accident but experienced motorcyclist Mr Carson, who lives in County Durham, died at the scene.

His family described him as “irreplaceable” and said he was “universally popular”.

Mr Carson, who worked as a fencing contractor for more than 20 years, leaves behind his wife Tracey, his step-son Adam and son Jamie from a previous marriage.

His family said: “Mick always proved to be a grounding influence, someone Jamie would always turn to for guidance at important junctures in his life.

“In recent years especially, the two had developed an excellent understanding and friendship.

“Mick met his wife and soul-mate Tracey in 2000 and they married in 2003. Together with Tracey’s son Adam, to whom Mick was a “great” step-dad, the family lived happily in Crook.

Friends say Tracey made Mick’s life complete and he loved her deeply.

“Mick had many interests and made friends easily. His open, optimistic and positive outlook made him universally popular. He approached life with energy and enthusiasm.

He and Tracey shared a passion for dogs – and wherever Mick went, he was sure to be accompanied by at least one of them.

“He was particularly well known in the motorcycling world, making friends locally and nationally.

“Mick participated in track days around the country and at the Nurburgring, Germany, where he celebrated his 50th birthday.

“He was an experienced and skilled rider who relished exploiting his machine’s capability to the full around tracks where his heroes raced.

“His smile, infectious humour, love and generosity of spirit will be sorely missed. To Tracey, his family, his friends and all those whose lives he touched and brightened, he’s irreplaceable.”

Police and paramedics had been called to the track at about 10.45am following the accident.

Mr Carson died at the scene. Two other men suffered serious spinal injuries and were flown by air ambulance to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire and Wythenshawe Hospital.

A fourth man sustained minor injuries and was taken to the Countess of Chester Hospital by ambulance.

St Albans-based No Limits Trackdays organised the track day expressed their condolences. Racing was cancelled following the crash.

Police and Cheshire West and Chester Council are now investigating the crash at the circuit, which is near Tarporley.