Chester FC officials took the decision to call off their National League North clash with Boston United because of ongoing concerns about the coronavirus threat.

Saturday's fixture was postponed on Friday evening - just hours after National League officials confirmed that its weekend games would go ahead.

The club released a statement confirming the game's cancellation, with future league matches now in doubt as the battle to contain COVID-19 is stepped up.

The statement said: “Chester Football Club can confirm that tomorrow’s scheduled fixture at home to Boston United has now been postponed.

“Earlier today, the National League announced that this weekend’s fixtures in their three divisions would proceed.

“We fully respect the extremely difficult choice that they had to make and understand their reasons for doing so.

“However, considering our local circumstances, we have taken the decision to postpone our fixture.

“Supporter, volunteer, player and staff safety is absolutely paramount to us – especially those in the ‘at-risk’ groups who are most vulnerable.

Six National League North games were played over the weekend, with Chester dropping to seventh in the table by virtue of their promotion rivals' results.

King's Lynn Town squandered an opportunity to return to the top of the National League North after being beaten 1-0 by Guiseley at the Walks.

Ian Culverhouse made five changes to his side as he sought a response following a disappointing 1-0 defeat to Bradford PA on Tuesday.

But Kaine Felix's first half strike proved the difference, as he capitalised on a defensive error to punish the faltering Linnets.

King's Lynn remain second in the table and two points adrift of leaders York City, though they retain two games in hand over the Minstermen.

Kevin Wilkin's Brackley Town sustained their fine recent form as they climbed to third with a convincing 4-2 win at Alfreton Town.

Goals from Wes York, James Armson, Matt Lowe, and Lee Ndlovu put Brackley four up before Alfreton replied twice in added time to reduce arrears.

Spennymoor Town leapfrogged Chester in the standings with a 4-0 thumping of visitors Hereford, Glen Taylor's brace complementing further strikes from Tyler Hornby-Forbes and Mark Anderson.

Farsley Celtic kept their play-off hops alive as they twice came from behind to run out 4-2 winners at Darlington.

Trailing to a 14th minute strike from Omar Holness, Celtic levelled five minutes later through Dave Syers.

Adam Campbell restored the hosts' lead from the penalty spot early in the second half, but the visitors hit back through Syers, Jimmy Spencer and Adam Clayton.

Telford United notched their first win in four as Ryan Sears, Ryan Barnett and Aaron Williams netted in a 3-1 home success against Kettering Town, for whom Omari Sterling-James replied.

Basement side Bradford Park Avenue saw their mini revival ended by a 2-0 home defeat against Curzon Ashton.

Following successive victories over Chester and King's Lynn, Bradford were downed by strikes in either half from Mike Calveley and Fabio Tavares.