A period of calm usually follows a storm, but there was nothing sedate about this full-blooded National League North clash.

Storm Dennis may have departed, but Chester reaped the whirlwind and re-ignited their fading title hopes as Simon Grand's injury-time winner sealed a fine 3-2 victory over league leaders King's Lynn Town.

Ross Barrows put the visitors ahead midway through the half, before Rory McCauley's own goal levelled matters.

The game ebbed and flowed after the break as Chris Henderson restored the lead for King's Lynn before Blues substitute Anthony Dudley deftly equalised for the hosts again on 76 minutes.

But Grand ensured a memorable night at the Deva when he fired home at the death.

Akwasi Asante was a welcome inclusion in Chester’s side after the talismanic striker shook off the effects of a dead leg sustained in training a day earlier.

And it was an otherwise unchanged starting XI for the hosts as bosses Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley kept faith with the team who beat Blyth Spartans earlier in the month

The Blues began the evening nine points adrift of Ian Culverhouse's impressive Linnets side, who are chasing a second successive promotion this term.

The residual effects of the weekend's bad weather saw a heavy pre-match downpour dampen a Deva pitch that had held up remarkably well in the circumstances.

But there was no discernible gulf in class early on as both sides stroked the ball around nicely.

Chester showed their attacking intent from the outset as Brad Jackson and John Johnston both made purposeful runs down the flanks.

Joel Taylor then advanced from left-back and saw his speculative cross flapped at by King's Lynn keeper Alex Street, who pushed the ball behind for a corner which was subsequently cleared.

King's Lynn had their first sight of goal on 14 minutes when full-back Ross Barrows received the ball in acres of space on the left touchline and drove goalwards but his rising shot sailed over the crossbar.

Sensing Street's vulnerability at crosses, Chester continued to deliver from wide areas and Linnets centre back Chris Smith did well to nod Jackson's dangerous cross behind.

The resultant Chester corner was swung in and the hosts' appeals for handball were turned down before James Jones' strike from the edge of the box was scrambled clear.

After barely threatening the Chester goal, the Linnets went ahead on 25 minutes when Barrows sidefooted beyond Russ Griffiths from close range after a low squared-ball from Adam Marriott.

The lead was shortlived, however, with the Blues deservedly back on terms within five minutes.

Unsurprisingly, it was Taylor who swung another menacing delivery into a crowded box only for King's Lynn centre-back McCauley to inadvertently turn the ball into his own net.

The visitors went close to restoring their lead on 36 minutes when Aaron Jones' corner was nudged towards the near post by Jordan Richards, with Griffiths down smartly to thwart him.

All-square at the break, Chester emerged for the second half with renewed purpose and showed plenty of neat interplay in central areas.

They almost took the lead on 51 minutes when Jackson fired a great ball across the six-yard box and Matty Hughes' glancing right-footed connection was hacked off the line by Jones.

Having looked comfortable in possession and solid in their defensive shape, Chester were pegged back again just after the hour mark.

Henderson made the home side pay after he collected a pass from Barrows on the edge of the box and drilled his effort into the bottom corner of the net.

Reeling from the setback, Chester were fortunate not to be reduced to 10 men soon afterwards when James Jones bundled over the on-running Marriott as he raced towards goal.

Match referee Aaron Bannister produced only a yellow card, much to the annoyance of the Linnets players.

Chester's defensive wall did it's job at the resultant free-kick as it blocked Michael Gash's powerfully-struck effort.

The Blues bosses soon rang the changes with Matty Waters brought on for the injured Taylor and Dudley replacing the ineffective Hughes.

And the switch paid dividends when Dudley raced onto Asante's flick-on and delicately lifted the ball over Street to level.

The game took on a frenetic pace in the closing stages and, as tempers flared on the touchline, joint-manager Johnson was sent off following a verbal altercation with the assistant referee.

Undeterred, the home side pushed hard for a winner with Kev Roberts bundling the ball wide at the back post from John Johnston's measured delivery.

With King's Lynn now hanging on for a point, they were punished two minutes into added on time when Grand fired home after Street parried a Johnston effort to send the Blues faithful into raptures.