Chester managers Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley celebrated their extended new deals with a victory as the Blues ran out 1-0 winners at Guiseley.

James Jones' 11th minute header proved decisive in West Yorkshire where the visitors recorded back-to-back National League North games.

Johnson and Morley, who both penned two-and-a-half year contract extensions on Friday, still have their sights set on promotion this term with their side third in the table at the culmination of a hectic festive fixture schedule.

Unchanged from their New Year's Day demolition of Southport, Chester made a bright start at Nethermoor – as Anthony Dudley had a shot blocked and Jones sent a warning sign when he glanced wide from Matty Waters’ corner.

That combination wasn’t to be denied on 11 minutes when the academy graduates combined when Waters’ peach of a ball into the box from the right was nodded home in the six yard box by Jones for his second of the campaign.

It was a scrappy affair but the away side were certainly having the better of it.

Guiseley did start to conjure up a couple of half chances though – Gabriel Johnson found space on the edge after neat interchange but Simon Grand made a strong block.

As Waters and Brad Jackson were denied by comfortable saves from Marcus Dewhurst, just before the interval Chester went close to a second.

Waters again the creator with an inswinging corner and this time Grand nodded it against the crossbar.

The second half started without incident in a scrappy encounter, but it was Chester who had the next chance.

Jackson pounced on a loose pass high up the pitch and Gary Stopforth took charge of the ball – squaring across the box for Dudley and his low sliding effort was kicked away by Dewhurst.

Dudley was busy in the attacking third – curling over after that before having a shot blocked inside the area.

Then Jackson’s deflected low drive went inches wide of the post after a superb pass from Gary Roberts.

Guiseley sub Scott Smith fired wide with 10 minutes to go, before heroic blocks from Kev Roberts and Gary Roberts helped to secure successive clean sheets.