Matty Waters' stunning 89th minute free-kick salvaged a point for Chester in their 3-3 draw with Leamington at the Deva.

The Blues twice had to come from behind in the contest against the midlanders, who proved tough opponents for the high-flying Blues.

The hosts made five changes to the side who were eliminated from the FA Cup at Altrincham in midweek, with the strike partnership of Matty Hughes and Akwasi Asante among those recalled.

Blustery conditions early in the game helped neither side's cause, with several aerial balls failing to reach their target after being caught in the swirling wind.

Leamington showed more composure in the opening exchanges and probed with the greater purpose for the opening goal.

Forward Jack Edwards had the visitors' first effort on goal as he met a headed knockdown on the edge of the box with a half-volley that was blazed high into the Harry McNally terrace.

Connor Taylor's curling delivery into the box then narrowly eluded Kaiman Anderson, with Chester stopper Russ Griffiths down quickly to gather.

Paul Holleran's side were ahead on 15 minutes when Junior English's long throw into the box was flicked on by Jack Edwards for March to stab the ball home from six yards.

But the lead was shortlived, with Chester back on terms within four minutes.

Some neat interplay between Brad Jackson and Waters on the edge of the Leamington box forced a corner, which Joel Taylor delivered for James Jones to power a header into the bottom corner and beyond Leamington keeper Jake Weaver.

With parity restored, the Blues looked more settled and used the ball more effectively in the attacking third.

Blues' top scorer Asante gained possession 25 yards out and dragged the ball out wide before curling a low effort goalwards, with Weaver down quickly to gather.

Leamington continued to match the hosts attacking endeavours, but spurned a glorious chance to restore their lead from the penalty spot on the half-hour mark.

Jones, who was deputising for the injured Danny Livesey in the heart of the Blues defence, was the culprit as he clumsily hauled down March inside the box and was booked for his efforts.

But the Leamington marksman's spot-kick was poor as he fired high and wide of the target, much to Jones' relief.

There were chances at both ends before the interval as Brad Jackson showed his electric and broke from midfield towards goal, but his angled effort from the edge of the box flashed wide of the far post.

Just before the break Leamington's Jack Lane then saw his half-volley miss the target by inches after he had connected with Kieran Dunbar's delivery into the box.

The half-time scoreline was a fair reflection of an evenly-contested opening 45 minutes, but the Blues would take the lead within 15 seconds of the restart.

Retaining possession from the kick-off, Taylor's ball on the edge of the box found Anthony Dudley who laid the ball off for George Glendon who blasted a low effort beyond Weaver for his first Blues goal.

Ahead in the contest for the first time, Chester seemed as happy to relinquish their lead as Leamington had in the first half as they were pegged back just four minutes later.

After winning a free-kick 30 yards out, Leamington midfielder Joe Clarke floated his delivery into the box and Edwards connected to send a looping header beyond Griffiths to make it 2-2.

The Blues pushed hard to build some momentum, with Dudley firing straight at Weaver with a right-footed effort on 55 minutes.

A series of Chester corners followed, the final delivery creating havoc inside the box before Matty Hughes dragged his shot wide of the target.

Waters was the next to try his luck as he found space inside the box and shot through the legs of a Leamington defender with an effort that flew narrowly wide.

Both sides actively pursued a third goal, with Chester bosses Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley replacing the ineffective Matty Hughes with George Waring for the final 20 minutes.

But it was the visitors who conjured the game's fifth goal on 78 minutes when Kaiman Anderson got in behind the home defence from a flicked-on upfield ball and stabbed his effort beyond Griffiths.

Frustrations grew among the home faithful as Chester's pursuit of another leveller was stifled by some tight pressing and timely blocks.

After Joel Taylor has blasted over from a free-kick 22 yards out, Chester's hopes of salvaging a point looked remote.

But a clumsy challenge on Simon Grand on the edge of the box presented the hosts with another decent chance, which Waters seized in style.

The full-back's blasted effort was perfectly executed and smashed the underside of the bar before crossing the line

The Chester back line were forced to withstand some late Leamington pressure to hold onto a point, which keeps them second in the National League North standings.