An Akwasi Asante double inspired Chester to an impressive 3-1 victory over National League North rivals Guiseley at the Deva.

The prolific Dutch striker took his tally for the season to eight with two first-half goals, with Anthony Dudley's second half strike securing the points.

Only a point separated the two sides heading into the clash, with third-placed Chester sat just ahead of the West Yorkshire club in the table.

But the gulf in quality between the pair was vast in a first-half dominated by the resurgent hosts.

Early goals are becoming a habit for the Blues this season and they were ahead after just three minutes of this one.

In their their first attack of a one-sided first half, George Glendon's threaded ball down the flank found the on-running Brad Jackson, whose low cross was missed by Matty Hughes but ran for Asante to tap home from three yards out.

The Dutch striker has been in clinical mood since his return to the Blues starting line-up and was on hand again for his seventh goal in as many appearances this term.

Chester's early positivity was tempered by an injury to right-back Kevin Roberts, who limped off on eight minutes with an apparent hamstring injury.

Jamie Morgan came off the bench to make his first appearance this season as part of an unfamiliar back line in which Salford loanee James Jones deputised for the suspended Danny Livesey.

But there was no lack of fluency from the hosts, who controlled possession comfortably and went close to a second on 10 minutes when Joel Taylor's corner caused a scramble in the Guiseley box, but neither Scott Burton or Jones were able to poke the ball home from close range though.

The visitors offered little in reply as they struggled to contain Chester's swift attacking incursions.

Taylor was next to threaten as he fired wide from the edge of the box, before Jackson's weighted ball fed Asante who lashed a right footed effort that crashed off the post with Guiseley stopper Lloyd Allinson left rooted to the spot.

The hosts' dominance deserved a second goal, which arrived from the penalty spot on 29 minutes.

Asante was coolness personified as he stroked the ball into the bottom corner from 12 yards after Jones had been brought down by full-back Brad Nicholson.

More goals seemed imminent as Chester poured forward, and one almost arrived before the break when Jones' well-directed header was cleared off the line by Lions defender Reiss McNally.

With former Blues boss Marcus Bignot away on coaching duties with England's U18 side, Guiseley joint-manager Russ O'Neill took sole charge of the visitors.

O'Neill brought on Andrai Jones for the ineffective George Cantrill at the interval, but it was fellow attacker Aaron Martin who almost reduced arrears soon after the restart - nodding over the bar from close range.

The visitors' frustrations grew, with Martin cautioned soon afterwards for a late challenge on Jones, which floored the Blues full-back.

At the other end Asante won a free-kick 20 yards out, which he took himself and drew a comfortable low save from Allinson.

Lacking in any real goal threat for much of the game, Guiseley spurned a golden opportunity on the hour mark.

Lee Shaw's free-kick into the box was spilled by Chester keeper Russ Griffiths, the ball falling to captain Scott Garner who blazed high and wide with the goal gaping.

Gary Roberts was brought on to reinforce the Blues midfield as he replaced Matty Hughes, while Asante was denied the chance of a hat-trick as he made way for George Waring.

Glendon's dipping effort drifted just wide of the post on 69 minutes, but the result was effectively put to bed three minutes later.

Dudley profited from a mix-up in the Guiseley back line, winning a loose ball before shrugging off two attempted tackles and slotting into the bottom corner with a composed finish.

Guiseley continued to threaten sporadically and were rewarded for their efforts on 81 minutes when Martin outjumped Waring and headed home from a corner.

The goal failed to ignite a comeback however, as Chester stepped up their attacking game once more.

Roberts whipped in a free-kick from the right flank Waring's powerful downward header was smartly tipped around the post by Allinson.

And in injury-time Dudley was denied his second of the game when he connected well with Jackson's cross, but Allinson was down quickly to repel his effort.

Star Man:

Magic moment:

Moan of the match:

Did he get it right?

The man in black: PETER SHACKLADY



Chester FC: Griffiths, K Roberts (Morgan, 8), Jones, Grand, Taylor, Glendon, Burton, Jackson, Dudley, Asante (Waring,69) , Hughes (G Roberts,69 ).

S)bs: Mahon,Elliott.

Guiseley: Allinson, McNally, Nicholson (Johnson,80) arkers, Bencherif, Garner, Shaw, Spencer (Starcenko, 60), Martin, Felix, Cantrill (Jones, 46).

Subs: Digie, Scrivens.