CHESTER restored some pride after a difficult week as they came back twice to rescue a draw against visiting York City.

A poor half had Blues supporters fearing the worst following Tuesday night's drubbing against Stockport County as the Minstermen led at the break through Adriano Moke's fine opener.

But a comic own goal from former Chester defender Sean Newton early in the second half and a close range effort from George Waring with 17 minutes left ensured Grant Shenton's unfortunate own goal did not seal a second consecutive home defeat.

The draw, combined with results elsewhere, now means that Chester are almost certainly out of the hunt for a play off place with joint managers Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley running the rule over a number of players ahead of what is sure to be a busy close season.

For much of the half Chester looked awful. With the dysfunctional strike pairing of George Green and Waring failing to fire up front and Gary Roberts and the returning Scott Burton getting swamped in midfield, York began to enjoy plenty of possession with their slick, incisive passing.

Shenton was the first keeper called into action when he spread himself well to block Macauley Langstaff's shot and the gloveman was need again as Newton rose to head a corner goalwards. The pressure continued with a flurry of corners and with Chester lacking anything going forward and struggling to find an outlet for their clearances, a breakthrough felt inevitable.

When it came on 35 minutes it was a goal not keeping with the poor quality of the majority of the half's play as Adriano Moke found himself in space 25 yards out before lashing in a curling effort beyond the diving Shenton.

Things began to get heated on the touchline with a furious Johnson berating his players who were looking like they wanted this season to end and fast and as the half ended there looked little hope of Chester turning things around such was their demeanour as they trooped off.

As the second period began the impression was Chester would need something special or something bizarre to get themselves level and it was the latter as former Blue Newton headed through his own net after Ryan Whitley flapped at a deep free kick from Craig Mahon.

The Blues suddenly had the bit between their and with both teams playing with the freedom that an end of season affair can sometimes bring the game began to open up. Chester threw on Anthony Dudley and Iwan Murray but it was York who took the next opportunity as full back Matty Waters was beaten too easily down the left by Langstaff whose low cross found Paddy McLaughlin whose side footed effort found the net via the post and the unfortunate Shenton.

Credit to Chester, who buoyed by the introduction of Murray and Dudley, went in search of another equaliser and found it on 73 minutes thanks to an excellent corner from Murray which reached Waring at the far post who provided a neat finish.

From then on the game was anyone's as York brought on the veteran striker Jon Parkin and Chester handed a debut to Jamal Crawford. Neither of them could create the winner as the match finished all square with the impression that both these teams have much to ponder during the summer.