CHESTER'S unlikely surge towards the National League North play offs is gathering momentum as the Blues made it four games unbeaten with a last gasp victory over bottom of the league Nuneaton Borough.

A header from Danny Livesey deep into injury time clinched a 3-2 victory after Chester had twice taken the lead, first through Akwasi Asante and then early in the second half thanks to another Livesey effort with the win for the Blues condemning the hosts to relegation.

Incredibly this was the first time Chester had notched up two consecutive away games in the league for over two years and the scenes come the final whistle showed the fans are beginning to believe that a top seven finish is still achievable ahead of Tuesday's crunch meeting with Stockport.

Nuneaton had plenty of possession in the opening exchanges, but when the opening came it was Chester who took advantage with an excellent breakaway goal. Dan Mooney did well to find Sean McAllister in the centre of the pitch with the midfielder using all his experience to calmly knock the ball forward to Asante who advanced into the area, twisted one way and then another, before slotting home past former Wrexham keeper Cam Belford.

The early goal should have been the cue for a dominant performance from Chester, but instead it was hard not to conclude that a degree of complacency took hold against a side who knew they were facing relegation if rivals Guiseley picked up just a point from their clash at Brackley and they failed to win. 

The first warning that the home side weren't down yet came just after the 15 minute mark when the in-form Grant Shenton pulled off a great save in tipping away a shot from an offside looking Ryan Edmunds.

At the other end Asante continued to cause havoc as Chester looked to break, but half-chances came and went until the Blues were finally punished in the 36th minute when a free kick was floated into the area only to deflect off Asante's head onto the post with the rebound falling at the feet of Miles Addison who scored from close range.

With the scores level at half time, Chester needed to up their game and they came out for the second 45 with a renewed sense of purpose going forward.

It was the hosts though who had the first chance of the half when an almighty scramble on the edge of the area led to a shot from Edmund which was brilliantly palmed away by an unsighted Shenton.

Moments later Chester forced a couple of corners and it was from the second one that the Blues regained the lead as Livesey threw himself at the incoming kick from Ben McKenna and forced the ball home from close range.

Again the Blues began to look comfortable and the visitors controlled the game for much of the second half until with just four minutes to go the doomed Nuneaton grabbed an equaliser when another scramble resulted in a close range chance for Mike Calveley who prodded home.

Three minutes of injury time were indicated by referee Amy Fearn and the Blues charged forward with substitutes George Waring and George Green both claiming penalties before the latter's brilliant corner was cleared off the line only for McKenna's follow up dead ball to find Livesey who powered a header via a deflection into the net and clinch a vital win.