CHESTER'S unbeaten start to 2019 continued as they came from behind against ten men Guiseley to secure a 1-1 draw in a bad tempered game at the Swansway Stadium.

The return of former Blues manager Marcus Bignot, who had left the club in such acrimonious fashion last season, added some spice to proceedings, but his presence in the away dug out was no excuse for some of the behaviour from the visitor's back room staff following the first half sending off of skipper Andrew Hall.

Before the red card, Olukayode Odejayi's 19th minute header had given Guiseley the lead before Anthony Dudley's second half equaliser levelled things up with the Blues ultimately left disappointed they could not make more of the numerical advantage as they moved up to fifth in the table.

Things started badly for Chester and barely improved for the next 40 minutes as the injury-ravaged side struggled for any kind of fluency in their passing. After three minutes the Lions wasted a fantastic chance as new signing Sean McAllister lost possession on the byline with a forward pass finding Rowan Liburd who advanced on goal before scuffing his shot horribly wide with only Grant Shenton to beat.

Up front veteran Nigerian Olukayode Odejayi was proving a handful for the Blues back four but it was Chester who crafted the next opportunity as McAllister made amends with a superb right wing cross that just evaded the head of Anthony Dudley and the sliding Craig Mahon at the far post.

Odejayi's threat from free kicks could hardly have come as a shock to the experienced Chester defence, but on 19 minutes they allowed him the freedom of the box to nod in Halls' delightfully floated free kick to give the visitors a lead which they subsequently battled hard to retain as former Blue Kingsley James helped the Lions gain control of midfield.

With five minutes of the half remaining and with Guiseley looking comfortable, Chester got a break when a loose ball in midfield saw both Gary Roberts and Halls dive in for the challenge with the Guiseley skipper getting there fractionally after his opponent and receiving a red card from referee Amy Fearn. The Guiseley bench erupted in protest but Halls' foot was off the ground and he had little control of the challenge. Moments later Guiseley's ire increased when Ms Fearn refused their appeals for a penalty prompting some frankly disgraceful behaviour from Bignot and the others on the visitor's bench who hurled abuse at the officials and the crowd as the half ended in acrimony.

Buoyed by the prospect of facing ten men, the Blues began the second half in far better fashion with McAllister and Roberts able to take advantage of the increased space. An equaliser look likely and it came ten minutes after the break with Bradley Jackson motoring down the right wing before Roberts floated in a cross to the unmarked Dudley who with all the time in the world placed his powerful header past the diving Marcus Dewhurst from 12 yards out.

Guiseley were rattled and Mahon was the next to test the keeper with a curling shot from the edge of the area which was beaten away by Dewhurst as the Lions retreated and prepared for a rearguard action against the newly confident Blues.

Matty Waters came on for the ineffective Dan Mooney as the Blues surged forward in search of the winner with Deane Smalley also being replaced by Nathan Brown. Plenty of possession followed but no clear cut chances came Chester's way until Simon Grand placed a header just wide as the game moved into injury time.