Histon 1-4 Chester FC


Dennis Wall

IT was business as usual for Blues boss Neil Young who tasted success on his first day as a full time Chester manager.

Young marked his 101st game in charge by guiding his side to a one point lead at the head of the Conference North league table and with one game in hand on nearest rivals Brackley Town.

The Blues extended their unbeaten league run to seven matches after a commanding opening half display that fully deserved a 4-0 interval lead.

Striker Tony Gray was joined on the scoresheet by club skipper George Horan and Nathan Jarman and it looked to be a case of game over.

But battling Histon had other ideas on the heavy pitch as they forced Blues keeper John Danby into a succession of superb saves after the break and reduced their arrears when Shane Tolley netted in the 61st minute.

Young retained the same starting line-up that had secured a 1-0 league victory at Gloucester City the previous weekend.

And Chester included new signing Ben Mills on the bench who had signed a permanent deal for the club from Macclesfield 24 hours earlier.

Gray ensured Chester enjoyed a perfect start by netting in the eighth minute following a superb build up initiated by Scott Brown, who found Craig Curran with a precision cross field pass, and the striker drilled a low ball, dummied by Antoni Sarcevic, to Gray who fired home.

Histon hit back in the 18th minute from a long throw on the left taken by Grant Roberts which was half cleared by the Blues defence before Lewis Taaffe unleashed a fierce 20-yard shot which was superbly saved by Danby.

Chester responded in style after 22 minutes thanks to a left sided Wes Baynes corner which was met by Horan at the near post and he powered home a header into the bottom left corner of net to celebrate his first goal of the season.

The Blues were in command and put their hosts under relentless pressure on a heavy pitch during a constant downpour.

Curran did well to control a long pass from Brown in the 27th minute and twisted himself into space on the right edge of the area before seeing his angled drive deflect wide of a defender.

Baynes looked a threat a minute later with a right wing delivery, but Gray was offside with his header that crashed off the bar from six yards.

Chester deservedly made it 3-0 in the 29th minute after a brilliant left wing run from Sarcevic, who powered his way to the byline before threading a pass to the far post where Jarman tapped home.

Curran kept Histon on the back foot in the 31st minute with a 25-yard goalbound drive which home keeper Carl Pentney looked relieved to catch.

Histon were awarded a penalty in the 36th minute after Curran had been accused of handling Taaffe's right sided corner.

But James Stevenson's spot-kick was saved by Danby who then pulled off a superb save from Taaffe's follow up shot.

Taaffe created another goalscoring opportunity in the 37th minute with a fine right wing cross that Sear headed over the bar.

Chester resumed normal service in the 43rd minute by extending their lead when Gray twisted his way beyond two players on the right wing before rifling a shot into the bottom left corner of the net.

And the alert Blues striker attempted to increase his goal tally a minute before the break, but he was tackled by Clerima on the edge of the Histon box.

Chester carved the first scoring chance after the break but Sarcevic was in an offside position with his header from Baynes' right wing cross.

And Histon responded seconds later when Claudiu Hoban saw his shot tipped into the side-netting by Danby.

Tolley forced Danby into a save from his close range 53rd minute shot off Stevenson's right wing delivery, and substitute Matty Waters raced onto a 59th minute through-ball from Stevenson but his goalbound shot was saved Danby.

Histon's hard work and persistence was eventually rewarded in the 61st minute thanks to Tolley's near post shot from Hoban's left wing assist.

Hoban attempted to reduce his side's arrears further with an ambitious long range shot that flew well over the bar, and Stevenson was denied by Danby from 10-yards as the home club pressed for another breakthrough.

Danby was in the right place at the right time to gather a long range free kick from Hoban in the 68th minute, and the Blues shot-stopper pulled off a fabulous tip over save to deny Hoban three minutes later.

Mills, who replaced Jarman in the 62nd minute, punctuated the Histon raids when he saw his 71st minute cross for Curran deflected wide by Pentney.

Tolley responded for Histon in the 81st minute, but he held his head in his hands after flashing an 18-yard shot inches wide of the target.

Baynes came close to finding the net in the 84th minute with a rasping shot from the right edge of the box, and substitute Marc Williams fired a right footed shot against his left foot before seeing Histon clear the danger.

Sarcevic carved the last shot of the contest, but his effort from a Marc Williams assist was steered wide of the left post.

See full story in the Chester Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read