Witnesses recall Pontblyddyn horror crash that killed two motorcyclists


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

NOTHING could have been done to make a difference in a horror crash that left two people dead, an inquest heard.
People involved in the fatal collision involving six motorbikes and a car on the A5104 have relived their experiences.
An inquest into the deaths of motorcyclists Nigel Davies, of Abbots Lane, Penyffordd, near Mold and Stephen Hill, with connections to Frodsham and Widnes in Cheshire, heard evidence from key witnesses including those seriously injured in the crash at Pontblyddyn in June last year.
Forensic accident investigator Michael Prime told the hearing at Ruthin that in his opinion Mr Hill, 50, who died instantly after hitting a car along with friend Ian
Thompson, who avoided serious injury, were both “travelling too fast to negotiate the left hand bend”. 
He estimated they were travelling at about 68mph. 
Mr Thompson told the inquest he and Mr Hill were going at about 60mph and were not in any rush. 
There had been no criminal proceedings in relation to the crash.
The inquest heard the bike Mr Hill was on collided with the car, hit a wall and travelled airborne before hitting Mr Davies, 49, causing him severe head injuries.
Both men died instantly at the scene.
There were four separate parties of motorcyclists involved. Mr Davies was travelling alone “at no great speed”, the inquest was told.
In front of him were father and son David and Daniel Holdsworth. 
David, who was travelling directly behind Lisa Rodgers who was in her black Vauxhall Meriva car, had the lower part of his left arm amputated and underwent five operations as a result of the collision. 
His son came off his bike but was not seriously hurt.
Mrs Rodgers, a care worker from Wrexham, said as a bike came 
towards her she just “closed her eyes and tried to get out of the way, but couldn’t”.
Travelling in the opposite direction were Mr Hill and Mr Thompson, who overtook another two motorcyclists, Jean Medlock and Clive Yates. 
They were were travelling with a third motorcyclist, Graham Crow, who had gone on ahead.
Mrs Meadlock, from Warrington, described carnage – which was all over in six seconds, the inquest heard.
“I was looking for survival,” she said. 
“The road was on fire so I rode through the flames. It was my best option. 
“I just kept going until I saw blue sky.
“I dumped my bike down and went back and there was just devastation.
“There were bodies on the road either dying or unconscious.”
Mrs Medlock, who had first aid experience, assisted her friend Mr Yates, who had suffered a broken neck as well as other injuries after colliding with Mr Holdsworth’s bike.
The hearing was told he was currently unable to work.
Mrs Medlock, praised by North Wales East and Central coroner John Gittins for taking pictures of the scene to help with police investigations, then tried to assist father-of-one Mr Davies.
She said moments before the crash she “felt” the two motorcyclists pass her and indicated Mr Thompson and Mr Hill were travelling at speed.
She had to leave the room as Mr Thompson gave evidence.
During the inquest Mr Davies’ widow Claire asked Mr Thompson to tell “the true speed” he was travelling at as they collided. 
He insisted he was not travelling faster than 60mph.
The inquest also heard Mr Hill was a “very careful driver who would not have taken any risks”.
Mr Gittins gave a conclusion of death caused by the result of a road traffic collision, adding Mr Hill died of multiple injuries and Mr Davies died from a severe head injury.
He told the two families: “Nothing could have been done to make any difference. 
“I don’t believe Mr Hill was a dangerous driver in any way. 
“He lost his life doing something he truly enjoyed.”
He said Mr Davies was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read