Appeal for help after blaze in Christleton clubhouse

Reporter:

Staff reporter (Chester First)

A COMMUNITY is calling for help after fire ripped through a much-loved cricket clubhouse destroying changing rooms and facilities.

Members and players at Christleton Cricket and Football Club, Heath Lane, Christleton, were devastated to discover the inside of their clubhouse gutted by fire.

The entire building’s interior including the changing area, offices, bar and social area were destroyed in the blaze caused by an electrical fault in the early hours of Sunday.

The fire is believed to have been out upon the arrival of firefighters.

Club officials now face a race against time in a bid to find a portable building but fear it won’t be in time for the club’s match on Saturday, and say players face the prospect of changing in their cars and members gathering pitchside until a building can be found.

A spokesman for the club, who discovered the fire after going along to open up on Sunday, said: “It is a disaster, the furnishings, fixtures and fittings, changing rooms and many other areas have been left destroyed, there was some serious damage but all is not lost, we are keeping positive and we will do all we can. This Saturday’s match will go ahead and people will have to sit outside.”

The spokesman said the club would be extremely grateful any offer of support or the offer of a portable building from community organisations or businesses to help accommodate a temporary clubhouse until the necessary repairs are carried out on the fire-hit build.

“Any support to enable us to have a portable building would be very welcome, but in the meantime we will be doing all we can and we are keeping positive,” added the spokesman.

See full story in the Chester Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read