Ex-Chester player and loyal fan dies


Staff reporter (Chester First)

FORMER Chester player Mickey Fields has died aged 78 after a battle with cancer.

The locally-born forward made 22 Football League appearances for the club in the 1950s and was also a prolific goalscorer for the Cheshire County League team.

He had the distinction of scoring the only goal of the game when Chester beat Burnley to win the Lancashire Cup in 1957.

Mr Fields was also a keen fan of the Blues, being a season ticket holder at the Swansway Chester Stadium and following the club to away games.

Born in Chester on August 12, 1935, Mr Fields played his early football for Lache Youth and Christleton before progressing through the Chester and District League.

After a trial with Nottingham Forest he was invited to Chester’s former Sealand Road home and started to play for the juniors before moving on to the
A-team and reserves.

His first game for the reserves came at the start of the 1953/54 season and he was leading goalscorer for the Cheshire County League team in 1956/57 with 26 goals in just under 30 appearances.

Mr Fields made his full league debut in Division Three North in a 1-0 victory against Halifax at The Shay in April 1956 and continued to make occasional appearances over the next three seasons.

Most of his appearances for the reserves came at centre forward but he often featured at inside left for the first team. His only league goal came in September 1956, in a 4-3 home defeat to Chesterfield.

It was in the Lancashire Cup that Mr Fields created the greatest impression.

In the 1956/57 season he scored two goals in a first round victory at Rochdale and after beating Accrington Stanley in the second round Chester faced Liverpool in the semi-final at Sealand Road.

Mr Fields scored the winning goal in a 2-1 victory and followed this up with the winning goal in the final against Burnley, as Chester took the trophy out of Lancashire for the first time.

In January 1958 Mr Fields suffered a cartilage injury in a Cheshire Senior Cup tie against Cheadle Rovers that effectively ended his league career.

At the time he was once again averaging a goal a game for the reserves having netted 22 times. On the verge of regaining full fitness he suffered a similar injury in his other knee and in May 1959 was released by Stan Pearson and signed for Borough United.

Mr Fields remained a part-timer while playing at Chester. Outside football he worked at Shell as a process operator.

See full story in the Chester Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read