TWO workers at a Chester glass manufacturer suffered neck and face injuries after a gas cylinder “exploded”.
The men, who work for Encirc on Ash Road, Elton, were rushed to the Countess of Chester Hospital where they were said to be recovering yesterday.
Bosses at the company, a market leader in bottle production, have launched a “full internal investigation” into the incident.
It is understood that the accident involved an oxy-acetylene cylinder, which are traditionally used for welding metal or fire polishing glass.
Encirc would not confirm if a fire had broken out at the site, or exactly how the injuries had been sustained, although North West Ambulance Service told the Leader a gas bottle had “exploded” causing “flash burns” to the victims.
A spokesman said one of the men had been left with blisters to the top and side of his head, caused by burns.
In a statement, Adrian Curry, managing director at Encirc, formerly known as Quinn Glass, said: “An isolated incident occurred in one of our plant rooms and two employees suffered injuries to the face and neck. Both are recovering in hospital thanks to the swift actions of their colleagues and the emergency services.
“A full internal investigation will be conducted into the incident.”
Two fire crews, from Chester and Ellesmere Port, attended the scene along with land and air ambulances.
Firefighters isolated the faulty cylinder and the acetylene pipeline supply was later checked by an engineer, a fire service spokesman said.
Crews left the scene just before 6.30pm on Wednesday after using a thermal imaging camera to “check for fire spread”.
Encirc Group operates from sites in Derrylin, Co Fermanagh, in Northern Ireland, as well as in Elton.The company produces more than 6.5 million glass bottles and other containers daily, and fills more than four million litres of bulk shipped beverages every week.
See full story in the Chester Leader