Yob jailed after throwing smoke bombs at derby


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A FOOTBALL yob has been jailed after he hurled smoke bombs onto the pitch and at a supporters’ bus during Saturday’s Chester v Wrexham FC derby match.

Kieran Cunnah was spotted launching the smoking missile at a Wrexham FC fans’ bus by police helicopters minutes after the final whistle at The Swansway Chester Statium.

Cunnah, 21, of Durham Road, Blacon, who was handed a 24-month football banning order by magistrates, was arrested soon afterwards, despite attempting to conceal his identity among the crowds leaving the Bumpers Lane ground.

The football banning order prevents Cunnah from being within a five mile radius of Chester FC home games and within a 10 mile radius of away matches.

Cunnah, a former employee at Chester Racecourse’s White Horse restaurant and an apprentice bricklayer, admitted launching a missile onto the pitch before
kick-off and later within 50 metres of a fans coach.

Both missiles were lit when he picked them up and he threw them without thinking of the consequences, Cunnah said.

Brian O’Connor, prosecuting, at West Cheshire Magistrates Court, said Chester FC had requested a banning order on Cunnah.

Cunnah told police he regretted his “spur of the moment actions” and pleaded guilty to a public order offence and throwing a smoke bomb. He had been on licence following his release from an earlier prison sentence for manslaughter.

His admission before the Chester court yesterday meant he would be automatically recalled to prison and he was jailed for eight weeks.

Richard Thomas, defending, said: “This was an extraordinary piece of foolish behaviour by Kieran Cunnah who is on licence until June of next year and for these offences will now be recalled back to prison.

“He had been training as an apprentice bricklayer and had applied for a mortgage with his girlfriend, but he accepts he has messed that up. In his heart of hearts he knows he made a serious error of judgement.

“Although the missiles did not hit anyone, he accepts the seriousness of what could have happened. Someone lit a flair inside the ground and Kieran Cunnah threw it. Outside of the ground, he again picked up a missile and threw it. There was no great plan. It was a spur of the moment action.”

Mr Thomas said there was no previous intelligence to suggest Cunnah had been involved in football hooliganism or that he was involved in a football hooliganism group.

See full story in the Chester Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read