Man locked up for violent attacks in Chester


Staff reporter (Chester First)

A REVELLER on a night out who kicked a man and fractured his eye socket before throwing a woman to the ground and knocking her unconscious has been jailed.

Daniel Graham, 25, of Browning Close, Blacon, was sent down for two years for viciously attacking Jonathan Yew after the two had clashed inside the popular Missoula bar on Music Hall Passage, Chester, on the evening of October 6, 2012.

Graham had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to one count of causing grievous bodily harm and one count of affray.

Appearing at Chester Crown Court, Peter Hussey, prosecuting, said a row between the two had spilled out into the street, which was full of people. Graham, who had initially been restrained by bar security staff, broke free and knocked Mr Yew to the ground, kicking him in the face and punching him in his side while he was on the ground.

The court then heard how Graham, a supervisor at a paper mill, also threw an innocent young woman, Sarah McHugh, to the ground, knocking her unconscious, before fleeing through the city centre, where he was later arrested on Cow Lane Bridge.

Mr Hussey told the court the row had erupted in the bar when Mr Yew had been waiting for his girlfriend by the bar. Graham, accompanied by another man, had grabbed hold of Mr Yew’s crotch.

Mr Hussey said: “Both men then confronted Mr Yew and, fearing he was about to be punched, he pushed the men. It was at this point that a doorman intervened. The three men then left.

“All he (Mr Yew) remembers then was the defendant (Graham) breaking free of the doorman’s grasp and kicking him in the face and punching him in the body while he was on the ground.

“The defendant remained aggressive and then shoved Sarah McHugh, who he wrongly thought to be Mr Yew’s girlfriend, to the ground, knocking her unconscious.”

Mr Hussey also told the court how Mr Yew did not seek immediate hospital treatment in the aftermath of the incident but went to hospital the following day after suffering pain and problems with his vision.

Upon examination, Mr Yew was said to have a complex multiple fracture to his eye socket which has since required operations and a titanium plate to be inserted in order to protect the socket.

Simon Parry, defending, told the court that the defendant was “deeply ashamed” and “very remorseful” of his actions.

“This was a thoroughly appalling incident, he (Graham) knows that,” said Mr Parry.

“When watching the CCTV footage of the incident his shame was apparent. It shone through. It showed that there is an intelligent, thoughtful side to this young man.”

Jailing him, Judge Elgan Edwards, the Recorder of Chester, said: “This kind of violence is quite appalling. It disfigures the nightlife of our city.

“Such was your temper you pushed that lady with such force that you knocked her unconscious. Then you run off, giving no thought to either of them. The day of reckoning has arrived.”

Graham was sentenced to two years imprisonment for the count of grievous bodily harm and 12 months for the count of affray, which will be served concurrently.

See full story in the Chester Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read