Brawling ex-convict jailed for Chester store raid


Staff reporter (Chester First)

AN ex-convict who headbutted another man in a city centre brawl has been jailed for his part in a raid in which fragrances worth thousands of pounds were stolen from a Chester store.

Matthew Williams, 40, of St Anne’s flats, Newtown, admitted he was one of a gang of three who fled with £2,691 worth of perfume from Superdrug, Foregate Street.

West Cheshire magistrates in Chester were told a window was broken at the store and Williams was caught after a DNA test matched his blood at the scene of the burglary in the early hours of August 13. Williams was also captured along with his co-accused, on CCTV, walking from the scene of the burglary.

Amanda Roberts prosecuting, also told how on the afternoon of November 26, Williams was caught on CCTV headbutting another male after a brawl outside McDonald’s on Foregate Street.

Williams said he had lashed out in retaliation after being hit on the head with a guitar and hit with a stool by an acquaintance known only as Pete.

Ms Roberts said: “CCTV footage indicates that the incident happened in Chester city centre, during peak shopping time when lots of people were about.”

Stephen Coupe defending said Williams lived a “chaotic lifestyle” due to drug misuse, and said he hit out in order to protect himself. Williams was not the aggressor and did not start the incident, however he accepts that he should not have acted in the way he did, Mr Coupe said.

Of the burglary offence Mr Coupe said: “Mr Williams has little recollection about the burglary incident, he claims but admitted his part in the offence.”

Williams, admitted burglary, and using threatening behaviour. He also admitted to failing to comply with reporting conditions for which he was required in line with his conviction for a sexual assault offence for which he was jailed in 2006. The court heard he had failed to let police know details of his address when released from custody for an unrelated matter in October.

Williams also admitted failing to appear before the court on January 8.

Ms Roberts added William’s co-accused in relation to the burglary offence on August 13, had been dealt with.

Willims was jailed for a total of 30 weeks for all four offences.

See full story in the Chester Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read