Hawarden plane crash victims to have joint funeral


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A JOINT funeral will be held next week for the couple who lost their lives when their light aircraft crashed.

Hotelier Gary Anthony Vickers, 58, and his partner Kaye Clarke, 43, died after their twin-engine light aircraft came down near the runway at Hawarden Airport on Friday.

The couple, who shared homes in Andorra in the Pyrenees and Dingle Bank, Curzon Park, Chester, were on their way back to the city from Paris, where they had travelled to pick up Mr Vickers’ plane.

Pilot Gary Vickers had been to London on a Ski Guide of Great Britain licence renewal course. The couple then took the train to Paris where Gary Vickers’ plane was ready to be flown to Chester.

Gary was co-owner of the Mill Hotel in Chester city centre with his father Gordon, 84.

He leaves his son James, daughter Rebecca and his sisters, Maretta Williams, general manager of the Mill Hotel, and Angela Oldham, the hotel’s wages clerk.

Kaye Clarke was the daughter of Bill and Angela Clarke, from Ellesmere Port.

Gordon Vickers said the bodies were released yesterday by Glan Clwyd Hospital in Denbighshire and were now in the chapel of rest at funeral directors George Pettit and Son in Chester.

The couple had been together for a number of years since first meeting at the Mill Hotel. Their belongings have also been returned to their families.

A joint funeral will be held at Blacon Crematorium at 2.40pm on Friday, November 29, and Gary Vickers’ ashes will be buried in a plot next to that of his mother, Doris, in Blacon Cemetery.

Inquest into the deaths has been opened by North East Wales coroner John Gittins at County Hall in Ruthin.

Post-mortem examinations were carried out at Glan Clwyd Hospital, Bodelwyddan, by Dr Brian Rodgers with provisional causes of death being head and chest injuries for Mr Vickers and shock and haemorrhage for Ms Clarke.

See full story in the Chester Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read